Prospects of Yoon's formal meeting with Xi uncertain: Yoon's office
简介While time is running out, there are still no clear prospects of a formal meeting between President ...
While time is running out, there are still no clear prospects of a formal meeting between President Yoon Suk Yeol and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
"We have a day left (before departing from the United States) and discussions (over an arrangement of the Yoon-Xi meeting) are ongoing," a presidential official told reporters on condition of anonymity Thursday.
"We cannot guarantee that the meeting of the two leaders would actually happen due to the leaders' packed schedules."
There were speculations that Yoon might hold talks with Xi during their time in San Francisco, California, for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation leaders' week. Should the meeting take place, it would be the two leaders' first meeting in a year.
Xi is in the US for the first time in six years, and held a summit with US President Joe Biden on Wednesday.
On Thursday, Xi and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida held face-to-face talks to mend strained ties largely due to China's ban on Japanese seafood after Japan started disposing of treated water from a crippled nuclear power plant in northeastern Japan.
"From China's perspective, they should prioritize Xi's summit with Biden, and afterward, use the remaining time available for them as efficiently as possible," the official said.
"The matter of Korea-China talks is separate from (Xi's) talks with leaders of the US and Japan. We are ahead of the strategic decision to determine whether it would be beneficial for the two leaders to hold talks (in San Francisco) and return home."
Yoon on Wednesday had a three-minute encounter with Xi, just before the APEC formal session began.
When asked whether Yoon brought up the matter of military ties between Russia and North Korea during the encounter, the official said, "Our diplomacy treats the issue separately from China-related issues." Seoul's Foreign Minister Park Jin last week expressed hopes that Xi could play a constructive role in intervening in arms deals between Russia and North Korea.
Seoul is planning to host a trilateral summit of South Korea, China and Japan before the year's end. Separately, Yoon's office announced in September that Seoul is working to invite Xi to Korea.
Singer-songwriter Zion.T contemplated how to reach new listeners when working on his third studio al ...
The descendant of a veteran who fought in the 1950-53 Korean War was tapped on Monday to head the Mi ...
Buddhists and political leaders bade their final farewell to late Ven. Jaseung, a former leader of S ...
Drunk driver who killed father of two gets 10 years
Generational shift looms in SK leadership
'Single’s Inferno Season 3' returns with no
Hanwha inks $2.6b deal to ship more K9 howitzers to Poland
N. Korea closes 7 embassies, now down to 46, says Seoul
Yoon’s chief economist tapped as finance minister
- Over 70,000 teens homeless, urgent support needed: professor
- Experts forecast US
- [Korean History] Deadly sinking of Navy ship in 2010 marks worst postwar military disaster
- [Today’s K
- Storing away for a more compact life
- Hyundai, Kia named top exporters of the year
- McKinsey names 2 new partners at Seoul office
- Requirements for zoo licenses set to be toughened
- US rejects NK's 'double standard' claim on Seoul's satellite launch
- Lotte renews online grocery sales race with new mega facility
- Former divas return as Golden Girls
- 이종석 헌재소장 임명안 국회 통과…수장 공백 21일 만에 해소
- A decade of YouTube and Korea in the World of Dave
- 尹대통령, 이동관 방통위원장 사의 수용했다…"면직안 재가"
- 북·러 또 무기거래? "나진항에 석달새 대형선박 18척 드나들어”
- Finance ministry to sell 4.7 tln won in NXC stocks
- BM of Kard to return solo with single ‘Lowkey’ this month
- CHA to expand assistance for buried cultural heritage excavation
- Former head of Jogye Order dies in temple fire
- Corning appoints company veteran as new Korea head
- [New in Korean] 'BU Care Insurance' protects hearts after breakups
- Ateez closes 1st chapter of career with 'The World Ep. Fin: Will’
- 홍준표 "엑스포 박빙 보고…尹 파리 출장가게 한 참모들 징계해야"
- [Herald Interview] Samyang CEO envisions elevating K
- 장예찬 "이상민 탈당에 깊이 공감…민주당 고쳐쓰기 불가능"
- [Global Finance Awards] Kyobo's new child insurance plan offers lifetime coverage
- 49th Seoul Independent Film Festival to screen indie Korean animations
- 'Sweet Home 2' returns with new characters, sophisticated monsters
- [Global Finance Awards] Going global essential in era of digital finance
- [Hello Indonesia] Cultural tapestry woven at 'Korea