Seoul shares open higher on stock short selling ban
简介South Korean stocks opened higher Monday as the country launched a temporary ban on stock short sell ...
South Korean stocks opened higher Monday as the country launched a temporary ban on stock short selling to crack down on illegal market practices by global investment banks.
The benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index climbed 48.16 points, or 2.03 percent, to 2,416.50 in the first 15 minutes of trading.
On Sunday, the Financial Services Commission announced the ban on stock short selling, effective starting Monday through the end of June 2024, citing concerns about growing market volatility and the illegal short selling practices undermining market stability.
In Seoul, steel and battery shares led the overall gains, with top steelmaker Posco Holdings rising 7.42 percent and leading battery company LG Energy Solution soaring 10.45 percent.
Chemical shares kicked off higher as well, with chemical giant LG Chem increasing 4.35 percent and major oil refiner SK Innovation gaining 4.74 percent.
Leading carmaker Hyundai Motor rose 0.98 percent, and its smaller affiliate Kia added 0.9 percent. Auto parts maker Hyundai Mobis moved up 0.46 percent.
The local currency was trading at 1,312.05 won against the U.S. dollar at 9:15 a.m., up 10.35 won from the previous session's close. (Yonhap)
A 50-something woman who threw objects out the window of her 18-floor apartment and shouted "I' ...
In another indication of the Korean language’s rise here, students applying to major in Korean last ...
추미애 전 법무부 장관. 뉴스1추미애 전 법무부 장관은 19일 “윤석열 대통령 지지율을 30%대로 받쳐주는 철벽통들이 있다”고 주장했다.추 전 장관은 이날 자신의 페이스북에 “돈 ...
- Hyundai, Kia named top exporters of the year
- 60조 역대급 세수 펑크에도…여야, 국회 운영비 364억 증액 합의
- OpenAI CEO's ouster was over "breakdown of communications," not "malfeasance"
- Seoul shares open higher ahead of Nvidia results
- N. Korea doles out gifts to participants in mothers' conference
- EcoPro, SK Ecoplant to build EV battery recycling plant in Hungary
'Violent crimes induced by noise disputes increased tenfold since 2016'
OpenAI CEO's ouster was over "breakdown of communications," not "malfeasance"
Will Suneung without ‘killer questions’ reduce reliance on private education?
Unique indoor dating spots to warm your winter days
JCS head stresses readiness against enemy drones in Seoul skies
Gov't administrative network down for 2nd day; recovery efforts under way
- Floor leader of main opposition party voices disappointment at Yoon's budget speech
- 협치 첫 단추 ‘현수막 난립방지법’ 소위 통과
- Women’s stories continue to resonate with Korean viewers
- Kakao Mobility announces plan to overhaul commission system amid monopoly criticism
- HDC to spur digital innovation for efficiency, safety
- Posco secures W6tr supply deal from Lotte Energy Materials
- LG, Hyundai, YouTube team up for in
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- LG Energy Solution debuts new battery
- Yoon donates W5m toward construction of memorial for ex
- Seoul shares open lower on US economic data
- Chinese beer imports plunge amid Tsingtao scandal
- Team carries out Korea's first successful uterus transplant
- LG celebrates 1st baseball championship in 29 years with discounts
- [Today’s K
- IMF calls for restrictive monetary policy for S. Korea 'for considerable time' to tame inflation
- LG to debut EV chargers in US next year
- iStaging Asia eyes patents for spatial web tech
- Han Kang says her historical novels were a literary resistance against violence
- Experts to discuss globalized risks at World Health City Forum
- 전문가 “북 중거리미사일 고체연료엔진, 러시아 기술 가능성”
- Negotiating members of Indo
- 한총리, 공공기관 전산망 마비에 “인력·장비 총동원 신속복구” 지시
- SM to launch boy group in the UK
- Yoon, Japan's Kishida agree to cooperate in hydrogen sector
- Global Kimchi Day declared
- KB approves of Yang Jong
- Yoon calls for enhancing connectivity of world economy with APEC at center
- Biden, Xi's 'blunt' talks yield deals on military, fentanyl
- Global asset firms flock to Jeonju to woo pension giant