Jeju female divers 'haenyeo' listed as FAO agricultural heritage system
简介The UN Food and Agriculture Organization has designated a unique fishing style of female divers on S ...
The UN Food and Agriculture Organization has designated a unique fishing style of female divers on South Korea's southern island of Jeju who dive without oxygen masks as one of its world agricultural heritage systems, officials said Friday.
The decision to list the Jeju Haenyeo Fisheries System on the Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems was made during a three-day General Assembly session at the FAO headquarters in Rome, according to Jeju City.
"Haenyeo," some in their 80s, refers to female drivers on the southern resort island of Jeju who dive to the bottom of the sea to catch shellfish by holding their breath for more than a minute without oxygen masks, working for seven to eight hours a day.
The GIAHS, introduced by the FAO in 2002, is designed to preserve ecologically valuable farming methods that make much use of the local environment and rely on environmentally friendly land utilization systems to preserve biodiversity.
It has designated over 60 sites around the world, including terraced rice paddies on Cheongsan Island, South Jeolla Province, and volcanic rock walls surrounding farming fields on Jeju Island.
In December 2018, Jeju Island applied for an FAO GIAHS, but it failed to win a designation. It had submitted supplementary documents to the FAO three times since 2019, but the organization's evaluation resumed only this year after a suspension due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
In 2015, South Korea designated Jeju's women divers as the country's No. 1 major fisheries heritage.
By Chung Hwang-keunMinister of agriculture, food and rural affairs“Technology changes agriculture an ...
In opera, tradition often takes center stage. But director Alex Olle of La Fura dels Baus boldly res ...
홍익표 더불어민주당 원내대표(왼쪽)가 12일 국정감사 대책회의에서 발언하고 있다. 김성룡 기자더불어민주당 내부 이탈로 이재명 당 대표 체포동의안이 가결됐던 지난달 21일만 해도 “ ...
McKinsey names 2 new partners at Seoul office
尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
[Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
Drug demand rises over surge in ‘walking pneumonia,’ flu
'Basel Night' at Swiss Embassy in Seoul heralds Basel's cultural legacy
- [Herald Review] ‘Cobweb,’ a fresh, new wind in the Korean box office
- SK Earthon starts first independent oil production in South China Sea
- [사진] 용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기
- Rebellions' AI chip to undergo IBM quality testing
- Unification minister to visit Britain, Germany
- KFCC hosts UN conference for inclusive finance
- Jakarta lights up in pink with SMTown Live 2023
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- Breadwinners in their 60s or above double in 9 years
- [Herald Interview] Mimiirose hopes to make a name for itself
- '12.12: The Day’ attracts 1.8m moviegoers in five days since opening
- 러 매체 “北 위성에 러시아 도움, 근거 없다…포탄 지원설도 마찬가지”
- Yoon replaces spy agency leadership
- [Herald Interview] Nam Woo
- N. Korea reinstates DMZ guard posts
- Samsung's Harman acquires audio platform Roon
- Female Nexon employee berates 'misandrist gesture' in MapleStory video
- Korea to start hiring E
- Korean banks at risk of W3tr in losses in HK
- ‘Smugglers’ wins best picture at 44th Blue Dragon Film Awards
- [Hello Hangeul] Welding book first in vocational Korean series for foreign labor
- American investigated for ‘teeth grinding’ graffiti across Yongsan
- 금태섭 “文 전 대통령, 조국 출마 적절한지 의견 분명히 해야”
- 1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
- S. Korea, AIIB discuss stronger partnership, new investment chances
- Hyundai Motor chief named automotive industry leader of 2023
- 조응천 "김종인이 2명 배제하자…민주당, 총선서 제1당 됐다"
- [Herald Interview] Korea ramps up high
- 김용민 “尹, 총선 승리하면 계엄 선포할 것…저지선 확보해야”
- Speculation grows over Yoon's looming Cabinet shakeup